Fan arrangements define the way a fan is driven by a motor, how the motor mounts to the fan, and are based on AMCA standards.
Belt-Drive– The fan shaft is driven by the motor shaft through sheaves/pulleys and v-belts. Belt-driven fans provide speed and flexibility, as they enable the fan operating speed to differ from the motor synchronous speed. There is power transmission loss associated with belt-driven fans that should be considered when selecting the motor horsepower.
Direct-Drive – The fan operates at the synchronous speed of the motor, as the fan is driven directly either with the fan wheel mounted on the motor shaft or with the fan shaft directly coupled to the motor shaft. Direct-driven fans experience negligible power transmission losses.
- Arrangement 1 – Belt-drive: The fan and motor are separately mounted to a unitary base. OSHA guards are required.
- Arrangement 3 – Belt-drive or direct drive: Involves a bearing on either side of the fan wheel. The bearing is supported either by separate pedestals or by a support structure integrated with the fan housing.
- Arrangement 4 – Direct-drive: A low cost arrangement, the wheel is mounted directly on the motor shaft and does not require bearings, belts, OSHA guards, or a unitary base.
- Arrangement 4V / Top Mount – Direct-drive: The wheel is also mounted to the motor shaft, but in a vertical position. This fan primarily used and mounted on the top of a dust collector with the fan inlet in a vertical position and the fan discharging horizontally.
- Arrangement 7 – Belt-drive or direct drive: Involves a bearing on either side of the fan wheel and supported by the fan housing.
- Arrangement 8 –Belt-drive or direct-drive: The fan shaft is directly coupled to the motor shaft with a flexible coupling. This arrangement offers fewer potential maintenance issues than other arrangements, as there is no belt pull on the bearings, and the motor experiences neither belt pull nor the weight of the wheel on its shaft. OSHA guards are required, and a unitary base may be required.
- Arrangement 9 – Belt-drive: The motor mounts to the side of the fan pedestal with no unitary base required. OSHA guards are required.
- Plug – Direct-drive or belt-drive: Used when the fan will mount to an enclosure, such as an oven, with the wheel extending into the enclosure and is often used for circulation of high air volumes at low static pressures.
- Square – Direct-drive: The fan wheel mounts directly to the motor shaft. The fan housing is supported by a square structure on either side of the housing. This arrangement is often used in applications with limited space and tight footprints.
AirPro offers a wide range of materials to construct the fan wheel, airstream accessories, or the entire fan. Whether your application involves high operating temperatures, caustic contaminants, or explosive environments, AirPro has the appropriate, highest-quality materials.
- All carbon steel grades
- All stainless steels
- Nickel-based alloys (625, C22, C276, etc.)
The AirPro manufacturing process is one of the major supporting components to the AirPro guarantee of superior quality.
- Materials are identified and tracked throughout the manufacturing process to ensure properties are consistent with order requirements for centrifugal fans and blowers.
- Mill cert test reports are maintained for grades above A36.
- Tools and equipment are calibrated and maintained according to schedule for precision and accuracy.
- Our fabricators of centrifugal fans and blowers are certified to AWS standards.
We offer various finishes and linings to accommodate multiple application requirements. Our standard industrial primer and enamel will protect our fans in a general industrial environment. We also provide finishes and linings that offer protection in specialized environments, such as high temperature, corrosive, abrasive, and food-grade environments.
- Industrial enamel
- Wet paints
- Special linings
- Ceramic tile
- Other custom coatings available
Routine maintenance is essential to the successful, long-term operation of your industrial fan. We understand that this can be a challenge due to space limitations and fan accessibility. AirPro fans have several features available that are designed to facilitate routine maintenance.
- Flush-mounted and gasketed access door into the fan housing
- Split housings for wheel and shaft removal
- Extended lubrication lines for motor and bearing ports
- Lubrication access holes in the shaft guard
- Tachometer access hole in the belt guard
- Sealed exterior seams for rust prevention
Inspections are conducted to ensure that each AirPro fan not only complies with the customer’s requirements, but that it also maintains AirPro’s high standard of quality. These inspections are conducted throughout the manufacturing process.
- Material receiving and preparation
- Fabrication and welding
- Paint/coating and surface preparation
- Product final assembly
- Balance and vibration analysis
Final inspection before shipping with QC documentation provided.
Wheel balance and fan vibration levels are issues that we take very seriously; ignoring them can cause catastrophic failures in the field. We conduct various tests to address these critical issues.
- Wheel is dynamically balanced to ISO G6.3 minimum.
- Full-speed, mechanical run test is performed on the fan assembly.
- Vibration analysis conducted at fan’s operating speed.
- Vibration analysis conducted during fan coast-down to detect any resonance.
In-depth bearing analysis designed to detect any potential bearing problems.
- AirPro centrifugal fans are designed by engineering staff with many decades of fan and blower engineering experience.
- Finite Element Analysis (FEA) is used to evaluate and define new and custom designs for centrifugal blowers and centrifugal fans.
- Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) programs are utilized in our product development and refinement processes.
- 2-D CAD full-scale drawings are completed for every order.
- 3-D modeling is available and can be used to evaluate existing designs or create new ones.
- Centrifugal fans are performance tested and rated according to AMCA standards.